EA cancels Apex Legends Mobile and Battlefield Mobile unexpectedly
Electronic Arts has announced that it will end support for Apex Legends Mobile and cancel Battlefield Mobile before its official release.
VentureBeat reports that EA will also shut down Battlefield Mobile developer Industrial Toys, the studio run by Bungie founder and former CEO Alex Seropian, which EA acquired in 2018.
Apex Legends Mobile launched in May 2022 and was named last year’s App Store and Google Play Game of the Year, while Battlefield Mobile was in a preview release.
The Apex Legends Mobile servers will go offline at 4pm PT on May 1, 2023.
“At Respawn, our goal is to provide players with games that are consistent.”the EA studio said in a blog post on Wednesday. “After a good start, the content pipeline for Apex Legends Mobile has begun to fall short in terms of quality, quantity, and cadence.
“It is for this reason, after months of working with our development partner, that we have made the mutual decision to cancel our mobile game.
“While we’re disappointed, we’re proud of the game we’ve released, we’re grateful for the support of the Apex Legends community, and we’re confident this is the right decision for players.”
During EA’s third-quarter earnings call on Wednesday, CEO Andrew Wilson said the company learned a lot from its experience with the game and “plans to reimagine a connected mobile Apex Legends experience in the future.”
Respawn said that existing Apex Legends Mobile virtual currency balances can be spent on in-game content until the title’s closure and that it will not provide refunds for real money purchases.
EA said of its decision to halt development of Battlefield Mobile: “As the industry has evolved and our strategy to create a deeply connected Battlefield ecosystem has taken shape, we decided to change our current direction to better meet our vision for the franchise. . and meet the expectations of our players”.