The horse “Stormwind” is a constant companion in the Elden Ring. But how do you get it and how can you call it? MeinMMO gives you an overview of the ghost horse.
Elden Ring offers a significantly larger game world than previous games from the developers, such as Dark Souls or Bloodborne. That’s why the game gives you the ghost horse “Stormwind” as a companion.
With its help you can not only progress faster. Because the horse has the important double jump. This allows you to get to places that would be beyond your reach on foot.
Also, you can fight on horseback, which can be a huge advantage in some situations and even makes boss fights easier. However, for new players it can be confusing to find at first.
In this guide we explain how you get your horse, how to call it and what else you should consider.
How to find Stormwind and summon the horse
You start the game without a mount. To get it, you must first complete the tutorial. After that you have to fulfill some requirements.
Here’s how to find the horse in Elden Ring: Once you have completed the tutorial, you must activate three Places of Grace. These are the glowing rest points where you can level, set spells, and do other things.
It is best to follow the route that was also planned by the creators:
- Avoid the dangerous Tree Warden walking just before the tutorial dungeon, below the Place of Mercy.
- Keep going north until you come across the Church of Elleh. Rest there and also visit the merchant sitting there. You will also find a blacksmith stone on an anvil.
- Now move on and follow the path behind the church until you come across a large gate.
- The third Place of Grace awaits just outside the gate. Here you have to rest and the first encounter with Melina will start.
Complete the dialogue and she will give you the Spectral Horse Whistle. This is the key to using Stormwind.
Here you can see the “normal” path that you also follow in the main story at the same time.
Of course, there are several other places of grace in the area. So you have several options. On the map you can see most of the rest of the rest areas.
How to call the horse: If you have received the ring, you can put it in the quick selection or the bag.
- For the quick selection you have to use the pause menu in your equipment, select a corresponding slot and assEsports Extrasit to the spectral horse whistle.
- It is also very practical and often better to put the whistle in the bag. You do this by selecting one of the 6 boxes in the pause menu on the right-hand side of the screen.
- Four of these boxes correspond to a direction on the directional pad with controller or arrow key on the keyboard. If you press Triangle (PlayStation), Y (Xbox) or E (keyboard) and then the appropriate direction, you activate the bag item.
You can summon Stormwind almost anywhere on the surface. There are also isolated underground areas that can be covered on horseback.
In dungeons, however, you have to do without Stormwind. These are mostly narrow and convoluted areas that are easier to explore on foot anyway.
Your horse is useful in battle and exploration
Here’s what you should know about Stormwind in battle: Aside from being able to move faster, Storm Wind is also useful in combat. The horse works partly as protection against damage, as it can take hits for you.
Thanks to a sprint function, you can become very fast and also dodge attacks with the boost.
You can also use your weapons, spells and invocations on horseback in a limited form.
- You can use light and heavy attacks on the right and left respectively.
- Charged heavy attacks are also possible.
- Depending on the weapon type, the attack movements and the range also differ.
- Heavy weapons are also slower on horseback, but can send entire groups flying.
- Light weapons are significantly faster and more likely to hit enemies that get too close.
Here is the controller control
- Light attack, right: RB/R1
- Heavy Attack, Right: RT/R2 (To Charge: Hold)
- Light attack, left: LB/L1
- Heavy Attack, Left: LT/L2 (To Charge: Hold)
Depending on the region and enemy types, these things must be taken into account and it is advisable to always carry light and heavy weapons with you. So you are prepared for everything on the way.
Some boss fights in the open world are even easier when using Stormwind. That’s why it’s also worth practicing with the horse so that riding becomes “in flesh and blood”.
This is how Stormwind helps you explore the game world: Thanks to your ghost horse, you can use a double jump to reach significantly higher places and jump over larger abysses.
This gives you a big advantage in the extensive and also very vertical game world. Even with fall damage, you can survive deeper falls thanks to the horse.
Be careful though, as fall damage in Elden Ring is often unpredictable. So don’t rely too much on Stormwind to cushion your fall.
You can make your mount fly in Elden Ring – But only if you are a bad person
What happens when Stormwind dies? Your horse is a ghost horse, so it cannot die. When the life points are depleted, Stormwind simply disappears. You can only summon it again until your next rest at a Place of Mercy if you sacrifice a Crimson Potion for it.
So as long as you have healing potions, you can summon your horse indefinitely in a fight.
Can Stormwind be healed in combat? Yes. There are a number of crafting materials and items in the game that can also be used to heal the horse. The most common are the Rowa fruits, which you can collect almost anywhere.
But there are also more powerful healing items that you can craft using various recipes.
Elden Ring: All of our guides, beginner tips and builds at a glance