…will Netflix finally make a decent live-action anime?
Netflix officially announces the live-action cast of Avatar: The Last Airbender, including the cast of Princess Yue, Ty Lee, Mai, and the Cabbage Lord, one of the most beloved characters in the series and who was forgotten in the previous version with real actors. With these announcements, the entire main team would be complemented.
In this Avatar: The Last Airbender announcement, there are a total of 20 new additions in total tied to the Water Tribe, Earth Kingdom, Fire Nation, and Spirit World. Some of the more notable new additions include the breakout star of Prey, Amber Midthunder, Teen Wolf veteran Arden Cho, and Star Trek legend George Takei. Here is the full list of new additions:
- Amber Midthunder (Prey) as Princess Yue: The compassionate spiritual leader of the Northern Water Tribe. A Martinez (Cowboy Bebop) as Pakku: The Northern Water Tribe’s veteran waterbender and a fierce defender of their traditions.
- Irene Bedard (The Stand) as Tagoda: An empathic healer who serves as a role model for the waterbenders of her tribe.
- Joel Oulette (Trickster) as Hahn: A strong and skilled warrior with unwavering loyalty to his tribe.
- Nathaniel Arcand (Heartland) as Chief Arnook: Princess Yue’s father and respected leader of his tribe.
- Meegwun Fairbrother (Burden of Truth) as Avatar Kuruk: A former Avatar with a haunted past.
- Arden Cho (Partner Track) as June: A tough and persistent bounty hunter known for her ruthless efficiency.
- Utkarsh Ambudkar (Ghosts) as King Bumi: The ancient and mercurial ruler of the Earth Kingdom city of Omashu.
- Danny Pudi (Mythic Quest) as the Mechanist: An eccentric inventor and engineer who is doing his best to raise his son in a war-torn world.
- Lucian-River Chauhan (Encounter) as Teo: The Mechanist’s high-flying, idealistic son.
- James Sie (Stillwater) as The Cabbage Trader: A long-suffering vegetable vendor in Omashu.
- Momona Tamada (Secret Headquarters) as Ty Lee: An energetic and optimistic teenager and one of Princess Azula’s best friends.
- Thalia Tran (Raya and the Last Dragon) as Mai: An unflappable and expressionless teenager who, along with Ty Lee, is one of Princess Azula’s closest allies.
- Ruy Iskandar (Yes Day) as Lieutenant Jee: Prince Zuko’s ship’s first mate.
- Hiro Kanagawa (Altered Carbon) as Fire Lord Sozin: The ruthless and ambitious previous ruler of the Fire Nation and the grandfather of Fire Lord Ozai.
- CS Lee (Dexter) as Avatar Roku: A wise and benevolent past avatar of the Fire Nation.
- François Chau (The Expanse) as The Grate Sage: The revered spiritual leader of the Fire Nation and guardian of Avatar Roku’s shrine.
- Ryan Mah (The Good Doctor) as Lieutenant Dang: Commander Zhao’s second-in-command.
- George Takei (Star Trek) as Koh: An ancient predatory spirit.
- Randall Duk Kim (Kung Fu Panda) as Wan Shi Tong: He appears in the form of a giant owl and is also known as the Spirit of Knowledge.
New additions to the live-action cast of Avatar: The Last Airbender include a wide range of performers who are incredibly well-known, rising, and a little more unknown. The confirmation of Amber Midthunder as Princess Yue is a huge win for the series now that Prey is such a big hit.. Meanwhile, George Takei voicing Koh gives the spirit creature a very distinct voice. All of the exciting casting announcements also follow Avatar: The Last Airbender’s mission to include a highly diverse cast that avoids the whitewash criticism rightfully levied against the 2010 film.
The arrival of the live-action cast of Avatar: The Last Airbender on Netflix has been well received
The full cast for Netlfix’s live action show Avatar: The Last Airbender has been officially revealed. Nickelodeon’s beloved animated series might have ended in 2008, but Netflix announced plans for a live-action adaptation in 2018 with original show creators Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko at the helm of development. And it seems that it has had a good reception as Gaby Meza’s publication shows
FROM THE PREDATOR SAGA TO AVATAR 🌊 It has been CONFIRMED that the young actress #AmberMidthunder (#prey), joins the cast of the live action series of #AvatarTheLastAirbender in the role of Princess Yue of the Water Tribe. The adaptation is done by #Netflix and it will arrive soon. pic.twitter.com/wOreR680dV
– Gaby Meza – 🍿🌈 (@GabyMeza8) September 27, 2022
Netflix previously announced that the live-action cast of Avatar: The Last Airbender would be headed by Gordon Cormier’s Aang, Kiawentiio’s Katara, Ian Ousley’s Sokka, and Dallas Liu’s Zuko.. While they are the main characters from the original animated series, the show will also include other familiar faces. The cast for this version also includes Daniel Dae Kim as Fire Lord Ozai, Paul Sun-Hyung as Uncle Iroh, Maria Zhang as Suki, Yvonne Chapman as Avatar Kyoshi, Casey Camp-Horinek as Gran Gran, and Tamlyn Tomita as Yukari. . The characters of Princess Yue and the Northern Water Tribe play a key role in how the animated show’s first season ended, so their castings could indicate that Netflix’s first season will end in a similar place.