New World Tier List: The Best Weapons for PvE and PvP in 2023
The MMO New World offers you a system without classes. Instead, the weapons determine your playstyle. But which weapons are the best and which are particularly suitable for PvE and which are more suitable for PvP? We at MeinMMO will tell you.
This is how the tier list is structured: In this article we would like to tell you which are currently the most powerful weapons in New World. For this, MeinMMO editor Alexander Leitsch spent over 400 hours in New World, tried out all weapons and also exchanged ideas with many players who are already at the max level and have gained a lot of experience.
The result was a tier list for PvE and one for PvP, since the two ways of playing are very different from each other. The weapons were assigned to different tiers:
- The S tier contains the most powerful weapons
- The A-Tier still has powerful weapons, but they have a slight disadvantage compared to the S-Tier
- In the B tier are weapons that are useful at least in certain situations
- The C-Tier contains weapons that are very weak in the respective game mode
In addition, we tell you in the article which weapons harmonize well in combination with the S tier weapons.
The Tier List is constantly updated. The last update took place on March 1, 2023. We adjusted some placements.
The best weapons in PvE
sword and shield
What makes the weapons so powerful? Basically, weapons in PvE are strong, which deal a lot of damage and also kill the enemies without taking much damage yourself. Accordingly, ranged weapons such as the fire staff or bow, as well as survivable weapons such as the sword and shield are useful.
However, things are a bit different in dungeons and mutations. There you have a healer and a tank and you should focus fully on damage. Builds with hatchet, battle axe, greatsword and spear currently dominate here. Especially the battle ax for contraction is extremely strong.
Ideal for both solo players in the open world and healers in dungeons, the life staff has a place in the S tier for sure.
It is best to combine a melee and a ranged weapon with each other to get the strongest effect in the open world. In dungeons, a pure melee weapon build can also be an option.
For beginners we recommend these builds:
New World: 3 entry-level builds ideal for PvE and leveling
Why are some weapons so weak? In principle, all weapons can be used, but some are only good for specific content.
The Musket and Warhammer are very slow overall, which makes them weaker than the other weapons, especially in the open world. They therefore end up in the weakest animal.
The best weapons in PvP
sword and shield
What makes the weapons in the S tier so powerful?
- The ice gauntlets are currently one of the strongest weapons in PvP because they can slow down and control opponents and at the same time bring some defensive power with the icicle.
- The Life Staff is the only weapon that does a lot of healing for the party. Especially in battles for fortresses and outpost attacks, players who carry a life staff are worth their weight in gold. It is best to combine the weapon with the ice gauntlets to bring more general support for the group and to get mana. The staff also harmonizes with the doom gauntlets or the battle ax as a melee weapon.
- The bow is extremely strong when defending fortresses in wars or outpost storming.
- The battle ax is typically used by melee fighters to pull enemies together with Maelstrom and then kill them.
- The spear currently provides a lot of CC and damage, making it another popular melee weapon. It is usually played in combination with the bow.
Why do guns end up in the B and C tier? The weakest weapons in PvP right now are the Sword and Shield and the Hammer, because their damage and CC aren’t enough to have any real impact on combat. Weapons like the battle ax are simply more effective here.
The blunderbuss, on the other hand, does a lot of damage, but still has minor performance bugs and is not as strong at range as the other weapons. There is also no perfect combination with another weapon for the wars and the outpost storm.
By the way, if you are looking for strong PvP builds with explanations, you will find them here: New World: 3 strong PvP builds that you should definitely try.
Which weapons do you think are the strongest in New World right now? And which ones are the weakest? Feel free to write it in the comments.