Playing PC Game Pass on Steam Deck is very easy, and you can do it with only 6 steps
Who was going to tell us that in 2017 Microsoft would make history in the video game, again. In a time with Netflix taking over the streaming of series and movies, those from Redmond did not reinvent the wheel, but they updated it to a concept of game subscription which by 2023, practically all of us have already used. Of course, without a laptop signed by Xbox, the only way to play beyond the desktop is with a mobile or tablet, but, what if you have a Steam Deck? The truth is that you can too, and it is so simple that writing this tutorial has surprised me.
And it is that although SteamOS is not Windows, the Valve system is created with a Linux base and, therefore, it is a small computer. It still has some limited options, but it’s a PC for all practical purposes, so run Cloud Gaming It is not a problem for the Deck. You can with that and more.
What do you need to play Game Pass on the Deck?
Nothing, just the console and a subscription to Game Pass, but you already assumed that. No additional programs, USB or even eat the head. It is one of the simplest tutorials that you will find for the Deck, but there are certain things to keep in mind:
- Obviously, the subscription to Game Pass must be active.
- You will not play natively, that is, you will not download the games, but you will via Cloud Gaming. It doesn’t involve doing any extra steps, but it’s something to consider.
- When playing in the cloud Internet connection must be stable.
- Not all the games in the catalog are available for Cloud Gaming, but there are still hundreds that are.
How to play Game Pass on Steam Deck
Playing Game Pass on Valve’s laptop is so easy that the title is not misleading, you just need to follow these 6 steps. Let’s see it:
- We open the desktop mode of the Deck, we enter the Discover store and download microsoft edge.
- Back on the desktop, click the Steam Deck icon (bottom right) > System > Konsole (Terminal) to open the command console.
- There we paste the following command so that Microsoft Edge accesses the console controls: flatpak –user override –filesystem=/run/udev:ro com.microsoft.Edge
- we return to Game mode and we added Edge as a non-Steam game under Products (top left) > Add a non-Steam game.
- With Edge in the Steam library it’s time to adjust the size of the browser. To do this we right click > Priorities > Launch Parametersthere we paste the following: –window-size=1024,640 –force-device-scale-factor=1.25 –device-scale-factor=1.25 –kiosk “https://www.xbox.com/play”
- We reached the last step! In the Steam Library select Edge and click the controller icon (next to the gear icon). Make sure that the option “Gamepad with trackpad joystick” is activated.
As I told you, just 6 steps to make Game Pass work on Steam Deck. As a recommendation, in step 4, when we add Edge as a game in Stem, you can change the name from the app to “Cloud Gaming” if that makes it more appealing to you to run.
The following is already out of the aforementioned steps, but it is the obvious that we mentioned at the beginning, and it is once we click on Edge from the Steam library, we look for Cloud Gaming in the browser and we logged in to access the catalogue.
Of course, it will no longer be possible to get Game Pass for one euro. Those of Redmond have eliminated the offer, which has practically always been active, in favor of future promotions. At the moment, we don’t know what the next steps will be, but new or renewing subscriptions return to the standard price.