Yesterday morning, the world woke up with a record news from the land of the rising sun: Nintendo announced, through an official statement, that Splatoon 3 had debuted in the Japanese market with an outrageous figure: 3.45 million copies sold in their first three days on the market. The numbers, in themselves, are impressive, but they take on much more value if they are placed in a global context. It is not that it is the best premiere of Nintendo Switch: it is that it is the best opening in the history of video games. At least, when it comes to Japanese territory.
The 20 best releases in Japan: Splatoon 3 breaks the record
- [NSW] Splatoon 3 – 3,450,000
- [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons – 2,680,000
- [NDS] Pokemon White/Black – 2,637,285
- [PS1] Final Fantasy VIII – 2,5404,044
- [NDS] Dragon Quest IX – 2,343,440
- [PS2] Dragon Quest VIII – 2,236,881
- [PSP] Monster Hunter Freedom 3 – 2,146,467
- [3DS] Pokemon X/Y – 2,096,050
- [PS1] Final Fantasy VII – 2,034,879
- [NSW] Pokemon Sword/Shield – 2,000,000
- [NSW] Pokemon Legends: Arceus – 2,000,000
- [PS4] Monster Hunter World – 2,000,000
- [NSW] Monster Hunter Rise – 2,000,000
- [PS1] Final Fantasy IX – 1,954,421
- [3DS] Pokemon Sun/Moon – 1,905,107
- [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 – 1,875,115
- [PS1] Dragon Quest VII – 1,862,065
- [PS2] Final Fantasy XII – 1,840,397
- [PS2] Final Fantasy X – 1,749,737
- [NSW] Pokemon Brilliant Diamond / Shimmering Pearl – 1,700,000
The ranking brings out two things: the first one, that the Japanese market is a market with some very defined tastes, in which the Pokemon, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter sagas have traditionally predominated. Only two titles have been able to break the firm tyranny of these four sagas in the classification of best premieres, but curiously, they are the two titles that occupy the first places. Already at the time, Animal Crossing: New Horizons exceeded expectations with such a brilliant premiere. But what Splatoon 3 has achieved are big words. With such figures, the future for the squid saga is more than guaranteed.
And you do you think? Did you expect such a brutal premiere for Splatoon 3? Do you think that these figures will be endorsed in the Western market, or that it will not be as successful in our territory?